Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"New" kitchen cabinets

Here are a bunch of pictures of our kitchen cabinet re-do. After finding inspiration and lots of advice from the gracious Katie at Clean and Classic Interiors,
I convinced Matt that painting our kitchen cabinets would be a good thing. Here are the products we used. The paint is called Cabinet Coat by Insl-x in the color Almond and the glaze we used was from Lowe's in Mocha. We did not prime or sand. This paint is self-settling and dries amazingly smooth. It was very easy to work with and we did our entire kitchen (2 coats) with less than one gallon.

So, on to the pictures. There are a ton since all of our family lives out of town and never gets to visit.
BEFORE with the lovely gold hardware:






During the painting first coat on the backs of the cabinets. The weather was fantastic for us to paint and the boys jumped on their new trampoline all day.

The hardest part of this project for us, was keeping our 21 month old Ridge out of the cupboards.

Pure mayhem, but looking better!

I am so pleased with how these turned out. I wanted an aged off-white look and the almond with the mocha glaze turned out just as I had hoped, so...drum roll please...

AFTER with the glazing, new hinges and hardware in oil-rubbed bronze.


Asher says "I don't wike deese new cabinets. I wike de owd ones with gold tweasure." We still have all the old pulls, maybe we will let him play treasure before we toss them out.



My light fixture in this picture is currently in my garage drying from being spray painted to match all the new hardware.




So there you have it. Next on our to do list is a new back splash and new counter tops, but that's going to take some time to save up for. I don't mind though, because every time I walk into my kitchen I can't help but smile and feel happy at how good it turned out.

21 comments:

flem-fam said...

WOW!!!! That looks straight out of a Pottery Barn catalog! I love it! How long did it take you to do it? Maybe I could do that.... I am laughing at thinking about how crazy it must have made you to have all that stuff pulled out and messy like that!

Lesta Sims said...

WOWOW!!! That looks FANTASTIC!!! My cabinets are pretty much all like your bottom ones. Sign me up! When can you come do that to mine! I LOVE IT!!

Norris Fam said...

You guys are honestly and truly out of this world AMAZING! I love those cabinets and I say...why EVER throw out the gold hardware if a little boy as sweet as that wants them as his treasures. Keep them around forever!

Nice job guys (does Matt work at home depot on the side?).

Tera said...

I love the change! Thanks for showing so many pictures so us out-of-towners can get a good feel for it. I am completely impressed.

Carie said...

It all looks amazing! (I especially love the drawer pulls.)

Meredith said...

I LOVE IT! It makes me want to change our golden cabinets! I may have to show Eric your find handy work! He'll be so impressed! :) Great job, Jeppsons!!!

Jeppson Clan said...

Thanks guys. I have to honestly say (not to brag) :) but it looks even BETTER in person. We finished the painting in a day and a half, and the glazing only took a day. The longest part was waiting for the hardware we ordered (ebay) to arrive in the mail.

Sariahfied said...

Love. love love them!!!!!!!! They look amazing! Really! Look at you go, you little do it your selfer! Cant wait to see them in person! I am off to the dollar store to find some birds and bunnies to spraypaint. love you!

heidi said...

this looking amazing. i am totally doing this. i gag a little whenever i look at my honey pine cabinets. i long for a crisp white cabinet. and new dishes and new counter tops and backsplash tile and kitchen table and wall paint and decor...and a housekeeper.

Melinda said...

Looks amazing!! I'm very impressed!!

Steph said...

Looks great Jamey! Awesome job! =)

Holly Ogden said...

I am so impressed. It looks great! I need to come see it in person. Aaron and I are thinking May.

Unknown said...

Jamey I am so proud of you guys! Way to go! I need to come see it and feel them. You know how you just want to touch cute things sometimes? Very good job.

Williamson's said...

I love the new cabinets!! So now I'm putting you in the amazing super woman category!! You take care of three boys, keep your home clean, and have time for all these projects!! Holy moly!! What is your secret??

Harmony said...

Amazing Jamey! Very impressive!

Becca said...

good work, guys! I look forward to seeing the new back splash and counter tops. You are wise to save up for them instead of doing them on credit.

Amber said...

SOOO AWESOME! You guys did such a good job!

Stefanie Stephenson said...

Holy smokes! It looks FABULOUS!! Well done you guys! If I only had half of the gumption that you have...

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing your projects with us all! I love how the cabinets turned out! Looks awesome! :)

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

Jamey, it looks AMAZING!!! I've been out of town and have been dying to get home and view the pictures and they just look so great! I really love the hardware you used and the aging effect too! I laughed out loud at the picture with all the cabinets off and the craziness because doesn't it just have to get horribly messy before it is all clean and finished?! I am so happy that it all worked and that you are happy too! (And the light fixture dark compliments the white cabinets too - funny how we did that to our light fixture in our kitchen too!) Thanks for sharing it with me! You have a beautiful family!

Daydreams and Reality said...

You did a great job...I'm so impressed..it is amazing what paint and hardware can do!