Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Locked in...the basement

One constant factor in my life, is that when Matt goes out of town SOMETHING always happens. His D.C. trip last week did not disappoint.

The two older boys had asked to watch a movie down in the basement, so I headed down with them to turn it on. I could hear on the baby monitor that Ridge was waking up, but thought I'd hurry and put the movie on then run upstairs and get him. After the movie was playing I went to run up the 2 flights of stairs only to discover that the basement door was LOCKED, & we were on the WRONG side of the door! Not too worried yet, our basement being a walkout, I walked around and opened our garage to go in through the kitchen--but someone ("not me") had locked that door too. Every single door was locked and my baby was crying in his crib!
I was starting to panic a little.

One of my bright ideas was to use a butter knife from the set of utensils we keep in the basement thinking I could just turn the lock. But alas, this lock is keyed, and someone ("not me") had shoved silly putty into the keyhole so I don't think a key would have worked anyhow. After messing with the knob for a long time FRUSTRATION set in. I threw down the knife and yelled something like "AHHHH!" Jay who was happily sitting far away on the couch looked at me and asked "Mom, are you going to cut me with that knife?" Talk about a guilt trip! I then calmly explained, that I would never cut him with a knife or hurt him in anyway. He was satisfied with my answer and went back to watching Shark Tale.

I could go on with this saga & my various bright ideas, but to cut this short my wonderful neighbor Cindy B. came over with her hammer. She took the pins out of the door hinge, but we couldn't get the door to budge. The lock was a really good one. After that I attacked the doorknob with a hammer. Thinking "I've got to save my baby!" Yeah, that didn't help either.

Cindy knew of a fireman who was home during the day and went to go find him. I'm of course crying, and not much help anymore. Cindy comes back with Mark, who I found out later, wasn't the fireman, but had been innocently waiting for his daughter to get off the bus along with tons of other parents in the neighborhood. (Yeah, everyone knew my bizness that day.) Mark was able to get the door off after a few minutes. Our entire sentence in the basement lasted 55 minutes.
Mark & Cindy were the heroes of the day. We delivered cookies the next afternoon.

To top it all off Ridge had gone back to sleep and didn't have a clue that we couldn't get to him.
My friend Heidi told me "you better blog about this!" It's taken me a week, to calm down but here you go.


Here's the door off the hinges.



Door knob damage from a crazed mother. This did nothing to remedy the situation, and now we just have a door knob that looks like this. Matt says we will buy a new one. Probably one without a lock.



Screw driver damage on my beautiful moldings. Mark (the guy who is not a fireman but still super cool) had to pry the door open. Can you tell that I think my story would be a little more dramatic, if he HAD been a fireman?






The culprits. Neither of them will admit to locking the door. I guess at least they have brotherly loyalty.



12 comments:

Kristin said...

We have a hidden screwdriver in every bedroom where the lock has not been turned around, to count the number of times this has happened in our household would be way to many. The worst was it happened in Florida, and we didn't pack a screw driver, so I had to call the apartment maintaince man, since it was Adam, the baby, who locked himself in and was freaking out. Oh the joys of being a mom.

Carie said...

I love all the pictures of the collateral damage.

And the two sweet boys (not me) who DIDN'T lock the door.

Meredith said...

Holy cow! How frustrating! Thank goodness Ridge went back to sleep! And I'm so glad you took pictures! :)

And remember a long time ago when I was pregnant with Wyatt, I had called you because I had locked myself out of our house in the sweltering heat of the summer? yeah, my doorknob totally looked worse than yours! Ahhhh, the lovely power of mommy's that are starting to lose it!

April said...

Hi! I found your website through Tiffany! I love the story! I could totally feel your frustration and concern while reading it! Such fun Mom times!! Good to see you are doing well. Your boys are so cute!

heidi said...

thank you for posting. i will mentally reference this story next time something chaotic happens at our house. i am sure it will be in the near future.

MissRochelle said...

Jamey you are so awesome. There is no way I could top this!

Heather said...

You are a superstar mom!

Norris Fam said...

My favorite part of the story was the silly putty jammed in the lock...that stuff is banned from our house! It has been permanently embedded into our carpet where it is going to have to be "shaved" off.

So...I blame the silly putty not those sweet, innocent boys!

Steph said...

Oh my... Jamey, that's horrible! Thank goodness for wonderful neighbors!

Holly Ogden said...

oh wow. That had to be so stressful! Thank goodness for neighbors.

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

wow! that is all I can say, wow!

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh! What a nightmare!!! I had to have one of my neighbors come over one time when Payton was little and had locked himself in my bathroom by closing the door and opening up the cabinet drawer so that it couldn't be opened-it was so frustrating!