Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Land of Enchantment

The N.M. state pledge: “I salute the flag of the State of New Mexico and the Zia symbol of perfect friendship among united cultures.”

Today is our 5 year anniversary of living in MO! That is the longest time of our married lives that we've stayed in one place. We have grown to love Kansas City and all the green trees, fireflies, yummy BBQ, our great friends, fun shopping and historical church sites. However today is not a post about Missouri. I'll do one of those another time.

Today the fun is all about Nuevo Mejico! Every so often, I get a little bit homesick and miss good ol' New Mexico. Mi familia, the dry desert, being able to see the sun rise AND set, the hot DRY heat, stopping at the Border Patrol (just to tell them that yes we are U.S. citizens) on our way in from El Paso, green chile, & fantastic Mexican food. Good thing I am headed there TOMORROW for Seth's mission farewell! I can't wait to see my whole family. I also get to meet my new niece Daisy. It's been too long my seestas...I feel some hula lessons coming on!

A few weeks ago, on my way to the store I noticed some Yucca plants growing & stopped to take pictures. I observed a moment of silence in honor of the State Flower of my enchanted homeland, but that was mostly b/c it was EARLY (6:30 a.m.) and I was all alone while the boys were tucked in their beds at home with Matt.

Some of my friends call me "The Enchantress", but not for the reasons you may think (although let's face it my personality can be enchanting)-- It's because that is how I introduce myself: "Hi I'm Jamey Jeppson and I'm originally from New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment. I am an Enchantress."
It's a great way to make friends, TRUST me!

Here are a few fun facts about where I'm from. My Jeppson family is already familiar with the State song. They made up their own words (thanks Stef) like Oh, fair New Mexico, the land where grass won't grow, and where it never snows...etc. Here are the real words and a snazzy little rendition of the music so you can sing a long.

I also love the state motto. It's very fitting.


New Mexico was the 47th state in the USA; it became a state on January 6, 1912 .

State Abbreviation - NM
State Capital - Santa Fe
Name for Residents - New Mexicans
State Nickname - Land of Enchantment
State Motto - "Crescit eundo" - It grows as it goes
State Song - O, Fair New Mexico

O, Fair New Mexico

Song by Elizabeth Garrett
Adopted March 14, 1917


Under a sky of azure, where balmy breezes blow;
Kissed by the golden sunshine, is Nuevo Mejico.
Home of the Montezuma, with fiery heart aglow,
State of the deeds historic, is Nuevo Mejico.

Chorus:
O, fair New Mexico, we love, we love you so
Our hearts with pride o'erflow, no matter where we go,
O, fair New Mexico, we love, we love you so,
The grandest state to know, New Mexico.


Rugged and high sierras, with deep canyons below;
Dotted with fertile valleys, is Nuevo Mejico.
Fields full of sweet alfalfa, richest perfumes bestow,
State of apple blossoms, is Nuevo Mejico.

Chorus

Days that are full of heart-dreams, nights when the moon hangs low;
Beaming its benediction, o'er Nuevo Mejico.
Land with its bright manana, coming through weal and woe;
State of our esperanza, is Nuevo Mejico.

Listen to NM State Song & sing along of course!




7 comments:

Sariahfied said...

You crack me up! I guess this place isnt so bad! We are counting down the minutes until we see you! Cant wait to see my nephews, minus Asher. I have been using the we are not going to c-bad if you dont do this in my parenting skills lately and it works! Still havent listened to that song either, dont tell mom! I guess since I still live in the land of enchantment, that makes me an enchantress also. Sariah the enchantress of Las Cruces- the land of many Me_ _c_ns! :)

flem-fam said...

You are an enchantress, I can vouch for that! I love that you still introduce yourself that way! Hope you have fun! Do you think you'll be in KC forever?

Stefanie Stephenson said...

You got my version close but it is "where it doesn't snow" first, then, "and the grass won't grow".
Have fun in your homeland. We'll see you in a week and a half.

Carie said...

This is a very educational post, Enchantress. (I say, not in the girls camp way - wink,wink.)

I have no idea was my home state's song is? The fight song of UofWashington is "Bow Down To Washington" and I do sing that from time to time.

amberd. said...

Ha! That was a dang funny post. You're making miss that hole in the wall of a place called C-bad! It wasn't so bad there....but I have to say - I can NOT live in a place that has no Target! Are you even kidding me? I would die if there were no Target to spend all my time and money at. When I went back last fall....I looked around and said..."yep. It pretty much looks the same. Hasn't changed a bit." (oh...except that Mexican restaruant with the big guy painted on the side of the building was gone.)

Have a super fun time!!!!

-A.

Anonymous said...

"Land with its bright manana, coming through weal and woe;"

Wow, I've never heard you sing that line. Its touching.


...land where no one ever goes... al-i-ens there fo sho... grass you don't have to mow... where des-o-lation shows... (referring to Roswell area)

Just kidding, New Mexico is great.

Brenna said...

Way to represent! This post was educational even for a fellow New Mexican. Hey, wasn't the lady that wrote our state song blind? Hmmmm.