Thursday, April 17, 2008

What are little boys made of?



A Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme

What are little boys made of? Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails That's what little boys are made of !"

For the past two years, Matt has taken the boys on an overnight trip to go salamander hunting. He somehow (I'm sure he's told me his connection but I can't remember it right now,) gets permission to hike into a cave called Campground Cave where there are all kinds of fun creatures, particularly salamanders.

One of the things I love about Matt is that he is an involved dad. He loves to go on adventures with our sons, which does 2 great things.
1. Creates bonding time between Matt and the boys,
2. Gives me a little bit of alone time which every mom needs once in a while.



Here are a few pictures from their latest outing. This is Jay's favorite. He loves toads.



Jay with Asher who is holding a small mouth salamander


Heading into the twilight zone...Ash likes to turn over every rock he can get his hands on to see if there is anything at home underneath.




The boys post cave adventure, clothes covered in Missouri clay.








Holding Ring neck snakes...
In case you are wondering, you will never see a picture of me holding any kind of snake.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What fun for your boys! I didn't know there were such colorful creatures here in Missouri. And you'll never find me holding any kind of reptile or amphibian, either! :)

Suzi said...

You'll never see my husband holding any kind of snake! heehee And to think that he's always wanted a boy so badly to do all of the "guy" stuff with....I'd love to go creature hunting. Maybe I can be the adventurer and take our girls sometime! Fun stuff and great pics!

Holly Ogden said...

Some things never change! I am glad your boys love animal adventures as much as their dad.

Norris Fam said...

LOVE your new layout! Where did you get the cute background?

heidi said...

riddle me this? why i am on the girls camp commitee? i think matt could handle the task just fine!

flem-fam said...

Ummmm..... Excuse me, but is that a minivan I see? That shocked me more than the creature pics!

Tiffany

Tera said...

I love the pictures. What an adventure!

Carie said...

Gotta love that Matt loves sharing his passion with his boys. As soon as Ridge is old enough to go with, You and I can go shopping together!